The London Friends’ Meetings

by William Beck and Thomas Frederick Ball


The London Friends’ Meetings is a significant expansion on a lecture given by William Beck in 1856, “The London Friends’ Meeting-houses and Their Associations.” Co-author, Thomas Frederick Ball spent a great time doing research in minute-books and other holdings of the Friends in London. The records offer a look at the very long history of the Friends, offering primary sources prior to 1740, and up to 1869.

In this work, Beck and Ball offer both depth and breadth, and offers a look at London’s history, and how it impacted the development of the Friends. The research into the holdings of various groups gives an overview of religious and interpersonal relationships as they developed within different Friends congregations.





Old Quaker Meeting-Houses

by John Russell Hayes


John Russell Hayes (1866-1945) was a Quaker educator, poet, and worked as a librarian for Swarthmore College in Pennsylvania. He was born in 1866, to William and Rachel Hayes, a family of Quaker farmers. Hayes spent much of his time on his family’s farm, which was located near the Brandywine River. He attended Swarthmore College, graduating in 1888. A few years later, he married his wife, Emma Gawthrop, in 1892, who also had attended and graduated from Swarthmore the same year. Afterwards, he went on to attend the Law School of the University of Pennsylvania, then Harvard, Oxford, and the University of Strassburg, in Germany.However, Hayes’ loves were literature and his hometown, so he returned to Swarthmore College to teach literature, but then went on to become the college Librarian from 1906-1935. While working at Swarthmore College, Hayes wrote numerous books, often about Quakerism, or of poetry. He and his wife had three daughters, who all also went on to graduate from Swarthmore College. Hayes died Dec. 29, 1945. His papers are held at the Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College. The collection contains letters received by Hayes, various diaries, and other papers owned by Haynes.This edition is dedicated to Friends Meeting of Washington DC, which, since 1807, has been such a force for good in the capital.





The Mad Monk of Russia, Iliodor: Life, Memoirs, and Confessions of Sergei Michailovich Trufanoff

by Sergei Michailovich Trufanov


Sergei Michailovich Trufanov, also known as Hieromonk Iliodor, was born on October 19, 1880 in a small village near the Don River. Despite crushing poverty, which claimed several of his siblings, Trufanov was able to attend several years of school and then entered the local seminary. He went on to attend and graduate the St. Petersburg Theological Academy in 1905. Shortly after, he gave several sermons that attacked a variety of people and organizations, including politicians, aristocrats, revolutionaries, Jews, nationalists, and more. Soon after he apparently blackmailed Rasputin. He later apologized for his slander of Jewish people, then renounced the Russian Orthodox Church, and ultimately was defrocked.

After being banned from several monasteries, he fled to what is currently Norway. He continued to plot against Rasputin, starred as himself in a silent film, The Fall of the Romanovs in 1917, and then returned to Russia in 1918. A few years later, he moved to New York City and lived a relatively quiet life with his family while working as a janitor until his death on January 28, 1952. This story focuses on his earlier life, a time when one critic deemed him, “extravagantly psychopathic.”


Discourses and Poems of William Newell, Minister of the First Parish in Cambridge: A Memorial Volume

by William Newell


On February 25, 1804, William Newell was born in Littleton, Massachusetts. He graduated from Boston Latin School in 1818, and then earned an AB from Harvard in 1824 and an AM in 1827. Two years later, he graduated from Harvard Divinity School. He was well regarded, and quickly found a post as in 1830, he began working at First Parish in Cambridge. He was ordained on May 19, 1830. He was able to unify the divided congregation, and ended up leading the church until he retired on March 31, 1868. He died on October 28, 1881.This new edition is dedicated to the members of the First Parish Unitarian, across from Harvard Yard these many centuries.



Quaker Women, 1650-1690

by Mabel Richmond Brailsford


Mabel Richmond Brailsford was not a Friend, but this work is considered to be truthful, extremely well researched, and also sympathetic. Brailsford did extensive research at the Library at Devonshire House in order to complete the portraits of numerous Quaker women, such as Margaret Fell, Barbara Blaugdone, Elizabeth Hooton, Elizabeth Fletcher, Jane Stuart, and Mary Fisher. The biographies paint a picture of the power that women held within the Quaker community, as opposed to other religious denominations at the time. It also offers a lot of information on the individual travels, writings, experiences, and also systemic failures that each of these women faced. Some have argued this is as much an adventure story as it is a set of biographies. She gives an excellent early history of both Quakers and England between 1650-1690.

Brailsford wrote a great deal, including other works on Quakers, such as The Making of William Penn (1930). She often focused on religions and figures within those movements, such as Susanna Wesley, the mother of Methodism, A Quaker from Cromwell’s army: James Nayler, and A Tale of Two Brothers: John and Charles Wesley.




The Quaker of the Future Time

by George A. Walton


The William Penn Lectures were put together by the Young Friends Movement of Philadelphia Yearly Meeting. George A. Walton was a member of the organization, and gave this lecture. In it, among other principles, he discusses the impact labor has on the current world. He advocates for living faith in one’s work, and to ensure that it has meaning and value to both the material and the spiritual realms. Walton gave this speech in 1916 and was responding to many changes in society at the time, although his work still resonates today. George A. Walton was born in 1883. He went on to become the headmaster of the George School in 1912, a Quaker boarding school, where he served until 1948. In 1969, Walton passed away. His papers are held by Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College.





Unitarian Affirmations: Seven Discourses Given in Washington, D.C.

by Seven Unitarian Ministers


Unitarianism is a theological movement which at its start proclaimed that God is a singular entity, rather than a trinity. It rejects other tenants common in Christianity, such as the concept of original sin and the Bible as infallible. The belief emerged during the 1600s and spread quickly through Europe and the United States, particularly among the educated and wealthy classes. One of the earliest places it arrived in the United States was in New England. These lectures were originally given during the late 1890s, and focus on a variety of theological debates, such as the Bible, the Church, and the afterlife.