by John Russell Hayes
John Russell Hayes (1866-1945) was a Quaker educator, poet, and worked as a librarian for Swarthmore College in Pennsylvania. He was born in 1866, to William and Rachel Hayes, a family of Quaker farmers. Hayes spent much of his time on his family’s farm, which was located near the Brandywine River. He attended Swarthmore College, graduating in 1888. A few years later, he married his wife, Emma Gawthrop, in 1892, who also had attended and graduated from Swarthmore the same year. Afterwards, he went on to attend the Law School of the University of Pennsylvania, then Harvard, Oxford, and the University of Strassburg, in Germany.However, Hayes’ loves were literature and his hometown, so he returned to Swarthmore College to teach literature, but then went on to become the college Librarian from 1906-1935. While working at Swarthmore College, Hayes wrote numerous books, often about Quakerism, or of poetry. He and his wife had three daughters, who all also went on to graduate from Swarthmore College. Hayes died Dec. 29, 1945. His papers are held at the Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College. The collection contains letters received by Hayes, various diaries, and other papers owned by Haynes.This edition is dedicated to Friends Meeting of Washington DC, which, since 1807, has been such a force for good in the capital.